An injury attorney in Las Vegas can help you identify the signs of nursing home abuse. Many families feel guilt when they discover that the nursing home they trusted to attend to the needs of a loved has been neglectful or worse, hurtful. Families need an honest, trustworthy source for guidance.
When visiting your loved one, look for these signs:
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Open wounds or sores (especially along the back, which may indicate bedsores)
- Burns or abrasions
- Sudden increase or decrease in weight
- Soiled clothing or a drop in personal hygiene
- Increase in infections
- Hair loss
- Torn or stained clothing
Physical trauma may not be the only problem. Emotional abuse can be just as damaging, which may include insults and degrading comments. If you suspect abuse, remove your loved one from the nursing home immediately and contact an injury attorney in Las Vegas for help.
Know Your Rights – Talk to an Injury Attorney in Las Vegas
An injury attorney in Las Vegas can help you understand your legal options if you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect:
- Know the care standards: knowing the type of nursing facility is important. Under federal law, there are 4 types, which includes an adult boarding service, residential care, intermediate care and skilled nursing facilities. The type of care will determine the kind of legal action
- Understanding the facilities’ policies: you must be given access to a written document that details the facility’s policy on nursing home abuse and neglect
- Participating in care and treatment: the resident has the right to access medical records and participate in treatment decisions
While these are general federal guidelines, an injury attorney in Las Vegas can lay out the guidelines specific to Nevada nursing home abuse law.
If you suspect abuse or neglect, contact an injury attorney in Las Vegas at GGRM Law Firm. Call us at 702-388-GGRM (4476) to learn more about what you can do.