Driving on poorly maintained roads costs a lot -- $1,744 annually in Las Vegas. Driving safely, however, can significantly reduce this figure. Here's why driving on deteriorated and congested roads can cost so much -- and what drivers can do to minimize their cost. If you have been injured in an accident due to poor road conditions turn to an auto attorney in Las Vegas to help assist your case.
Deteriorated Roads Cost Las Vegas Drivers $1,744
The study that found Las Vegas' deteriorated roads cost Las Vegas drivers $1,744 on average was conducted by TRIP, which is a nonprofit transportation group funded by insurers, labor unions and businesses involved in roadways.
The study's finding included:
- lost time and wasted fuel due to congestion on outdated, overcrowded roads (about 50 percent of total expenses)
- vehicle repairs (including from accidents), depreciation, wear and increased fuel consumption due to poor road conditions (about 25 percent)
- lost time at home and work, additional insurance expenses, and other costs (about 25 percent)
In addition to calculating the total annual expense of these costs, the study also made clear just how widespread poor road conditions are in Las Vegas. It noted 34 percent of the city's major streets and freeways are in poor or mediocre condition. Tina Quickly, the General Manager of the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada said the list of roads in need of repair in Las Vegas include busy Eastern Avenue, Nellis Boulevard and sections of Hollywood boulevard.
Driving Safely Will Minimize Costs
While the city is looking for ways to improve road conditions, there are steps drivers can take to help minimize their costs when driving on these roads. Safe driving techniques are:
- Not accelerating and stopping too quickly, as this consumes more gas. Rather, go with the flow of traffic and keep your distance from the car in front of you. Drive slower when on a road under construction or deteriorated road to reduce wear and tear from potholes and other obstacles that may be in the road.
- Keeping distractions at bay while driving and keeping your full focus on the road.
Know What Auto Attorneys in Las Vegas to Contact
Even when following safe driving habits, however, it's impossible to completely eliminate any risk of an accident. Obstacles and other drivers, especially on deteriorated and congested roads, are sometimes impossible to avoid. That’s why every driver should know which auto attorneys in Las Vegas to contact if they’re ever in an accident.
If you're ever in an accident, contact Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez. We're local auto attorneys from Las Vegas, so we're familiar with the city's streets. We know what the road conditions are like, and we use our legal and local expertise to provide our clients with excellent representation. At GGRM, we’ve helped many drivers, and we'd be happy to provide you with a free consultation. If you're ever involved in an accident call us at 702-388-4476.