Nothing can ruin the holiday season faster than suffering injuries in a car crash and having to spend time meeting with a personal injury lawyer instead of visiting with family and friends. Drivers must take extra precautions during this busy time of the year to reduce their risk of being involved in a devastating accident.
According to an NHTSA study, the number of fatal automobile accidents increases on December 23 and 24. Drivers are most likely to cause fatal injuries to pedestrians on Halloween, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
The increased number of travelers during the holidays is only partially responsible for the increase in roadway fatalities. Busy schedules mean many people drive aggressively to make up time when they are running late. Those traveling with families are at constant risk of distraction by other passengers in the vehicle. Poor weather can make driving conditions treacherous and holiday libations only add another level of risk.
Use These Tips and Prevent Needing a Las Vegas Injury Attorney
Drivers who follow these tips can keep themselves and others safe on the roadways during the holidays:
- Make sure all occupants are wearing seatbelts. Safely restrain small children in car seats.
- Allow extra time for travel to account for the additional traffic and any unexpected delays. This will reduce the need to rush to arrive at the destination on time.
- Take frequent breaks during long trips to avoid driver fatigue.
- Schools are on vacation at this time of year. Watch out for children playing in residential neighborhoods and always obey the speed limit.
- Never get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol. A single drink is enough to impair judgment and reaction time.
The holiday season should be a time of joy and spending time with loved ones. Nobody wants to be talking to law enforcement officers, filling out witness statements and hiring a lawyer during this time of year.
If you are injured in an accident caused by a distracted or negligent driver, call the law offices of Greenman, Goldberg, Raby, Martinez at 388-GGRM (4476) and speak to a personal injury lawyer to receive the compensation you deserve.