Latest Posts



Tags Cloud

Steps to Take After a Hit-and-Run

Car Accident

The number of hit and run accidents continue to rise each year. In Las Vegas, hit and run fatalities were up 35 percent in 2014 (the most recent year for which statistics are available) over the previous year. Usually, the driver flees an accident because he or she is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs or he or she is not properly licensed or insured.

If you've been involved in such a situation, it can be confusing knowing what to do. The usual guidelines of exchanging information don't apply when the other vehicle and driver are absent. However, there are several things you need to do if you've been involved in a hit and run accident.

What to do if you've been involved in a hit and run accident

  1. Call 911, if necessary. The first thing you need to do is to make sure everyone is unharmed and request medical assistance if necessary.
  2. Jot down information. Write down all you can about the fleeing vehicle, including the license plate number (if you saw it), the make and model of the vehicle and the color. Include any details about where you were hit and the situation leading up to the accident. Take photos of the location and the damage to your car, if possible.
  3. Report the accident to the police. You'll still need to report the accident to the police, even if the person who caused the accident is absent. Stick to the facts.
  4. Call your insurance company. You don't want to wait to file a claim with your insurance company. The newer the information about the other vehicle, the more likely the insurance (and the police) will be able to locate it.

If you've been involved in a hit-and-run accident, you're not alone. A good personal injury law firm like Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez can help protect your rights, get the settlement you deserve to pay your medical bills and compensation for time off work and help you put the incident behind you as quickly as possible. To schedule a free consultation, contact our firm at 702-388-GGRM (4476).

Steps To Take After a Car Accident Offer