When you're stuck in the middle of a traffic jam, most drivers aren't doing anything particularly aggressive, yet the most experienced traffic accident attorneys in Las Vegas know: traffic jam delays may cause people to grow irritated and impatient and make a quick, impetuous maneuver that causes an accident.
Take it from Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez: it pays to revisit safety tips for driving in traffic jams. Below are a few tips to follow when driving in traffic.
The best traffic accident attorneys in Las Vegas say: Put safety first
Whether a traffic jam is caused by road construction, an accident up ahead, poor weather conditions or rush hour, it can be risky even if you're traveling at a snail's pace. Reduce the risks by:
- Not tailgating – a frequent cause of accidents at every speed. Put ample space between the vehicle in front of you to buttress your reflexive abilities.
- Refraining from frequent lane changes. Weaving in and out of traffic increases the chances of an accident, as the best traffic accident attorneys in Las Vegas can attest. This also has been proven to slow down traffic, causing cars to break more frequently, which causes the domino effect to the rest of traffic.
- Using your turn signals. Don't assume that a slow speed renders them unnecessary.
- Allowing the right of way to aggressive drivers. Trying to match or outdo their moves tempts fate.
Practice patience behind the wheel
It takes practice to be patience but it could prevent you from getting into an accident. When you feel as though you're on the brink of losing your cool:
- Take a few deep breaths.
- Resign yourself to a doubled commute time. If the ride doesn't take that long, think of yourself as arriving "ahead" of time.
- Tune your radio to a station that plays soothing music. Avoid music or talk stations that raise your blood pressure.
- Pull off the road if the stress of the traffic jam becomes overwhelming.
Despite your best efforts, you could still be involved in an accident during a traffic jam. This is when it's time to follow the lead of thousands of other people in southern Nevada and contact the trusted traffic accident attorneys in Las Vegas, Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez at 702-388-4476 for a free consultation. Their knowledge of Nevada's driving laws is unparalleled. And you can count on them to steer you to the best possible legal outcome -- and untold peace of mind.